So my next pinned it made it, was out of sheer curiosity.. The Crazy Kitchen posted about their Maltesers Vodka and the photograph is what really caught my eye. The original pin didn’t really give much information on the item itself, and the blog post linked is very simple, which makes it fool-proof!
I bought a bottle of vodka from my local shop and then two boxes of maltesers like the recipe calls for and got to work peeling the label off of the bottle.
I emptied the vodka into a jug and sterilized the bottle so it was fit for use. I then just started plopping the maltesers into the bottle and they seemed to fit really well through the neck of the bottle to start with, but then was more and more difficult. I decided to crush my maltesers in a disposable piping bag with a rolling pin and then empty them into the bottle. I poured over the vodka and gave it a very good shake! I wish that from the start I had crushed them as it was taking ages to dissolve.
In all honesty at this point I was dubious as to whether this would even go how The Crazy Kitchen’s one would, but I stuck with it. Later on that evening I looked at the post again and decided to try putting the bottle in warm water like it says I can to speed the process up. I have to say, it done the trick very well on the whole maltesers as it helped melt the chocolate. The malt centres dissolved rather fast and the chocolate parts just sat on the bottom, but this all melted fast in the warm water bath!
I have only managed to fit one and a half boxes of the maltesers in the bottle so far but I am hoping to be able to fit the rest in over the next few days and hopefully it will be done in time for Christmas! I gave the bottle a very good shake this morning and it seems to have thickened rather nicely.. I might have also opened it and had a cheeky half teaspoon of it.. It’s tasting pretty spectacular!